Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Y Moment of the Week

The rules for the way we play basketball at the Green Hills YMCA are simple: play to 24, go by two's and three's, the person fouling or the person being fouled calls the foul, and you can't try too hard or else you look like a gargantuan douche.

So yesterday I was there and my team was down 18-9. Game over, right? WRONG!!! The game's never over when Clutch Connolly's in the building. Anyways, our team storms back to take the lead 18-19 led by this kid Trey's fast break points via my outlet passes. Then the guys on the other team score two quick buckets to retake the lead 22-21.

Our ball-handler dribbles up the court and dishes it to me on the right wing. Now I've got this insanely annoying try-hard defending me so I think, "Okay, I'm going to end this right here in this guy's face and teach him a little lesson about trying too hard at the Y." I call for a screen on the baseline side of me (normally not preferred when you're on the wing but i was shooting better going to my right that day). THE GUY GOES UNDER THE SCREEN! I pull up after one quick dribble, fade a little, and let it fly only it was the smoothest feeling shot I've ever taken. The ball glides through the air, everyone's watching, even the little kid with the bowl-cut in the corner stops picking his nose for a moment as the pumpkin nails the BRAD zone (back rim and in) and goes through the hoop. Game over.

No comments:

Post a Comment